Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Color Harmony in the GardenAt Home With P. Allen Smith



Http://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=7A5gibuDLrE
7A5gibuDLrE. I don't know about you, but I love color.
Color plays such an important role in how we feel about a space. Whether it's inside,
whether it's outside, or outside the home. But let's take the garden, for instance.

I
got a few basic principles that I always follow when using color in the garden. For instance,
I divide color into three parts. Not anything like the color wheel, just three simple color
blocks. I go with warm colors, neutral colors and hot colors.

Let me give you an example
of the neutrals: Well, green, in my opinion, is a neutral color. Gray is a neutral color.
And over here, you can see, this is a gray-green neutral color, as represented here with this
is Elaeagnus hedge. So neutral colors can make the perfect backdrop for a planting.
And you can see here, I followed a certain theme with pinks, with these Rocopolco Double
Impatiens -- they're really beautiful planted in a mass. You see, also the amount of color
that you use is important.

I like to choose a single color family, and then paint with
a really broad brush. That's what I've done here with this big drip of Impatiens. There
are 25 plants here, all growing together, and blooming en masse. The results, well,
they're stunning.

Let's take a look in the front. So what I mean by color family is if
choose a pink, stay with all pinks, all in the cool or warm pinks -- decide one or the
other. For instance, here, I've used purple and hot pink, and it's echoed over on this
side of the bed, where I have purple Ageratum, Coleus, Blue Salvia and this purple fountain
grass. So I'm staying within the same color family here -- blues and purples here, blues
and purples there.

What you get is this echo back and forth. That helps the garden feel
more harmonious. You have a consistency that's going on. It's restful to the eye.

Now let's
talk about foliage versus bloom over here. So take a look at this chartreuse Coleus -- pretty
remarkable, I think. If you take the idea of it, foliage can bring bold color, and Coleus
is a great way to do it. Juxtapose bright colored flowers, like these Royal Velvet Supertunias,
you can get some remarkable combinations.

I just love the electric color of the Coleus
with these deep, saturated purple colors as well as this slight lavender Phlox. Now come
on here, I wanna show you something else. Now this Coleus is called Sedona, and you
can see that it is very warm with its color. And look at the grass behind it -- that's
giant purple fountain grass.

I think they're a great combination if you wanna heat things
up. Juxtapose, again, this really bright LifeLime Coleus over here. You see, the beauty of having
seasons is that you can change out the color from time to time. If you get tired of it,
you can rotate it.

For instance, in this garden, I rotate the color out every in season. In
the spring, I'll have all kinds of tulips, daffodils, hyacinths. This gives a soft pastel
look. In the summer, I can bump up the color and make it even bolder.

And in the fall,
I can use distinctly autumnal colors here. It makes it very interesting in season after
season. I hope you find these style tips helpful. If you have any questions, I'd love to hear
from you.

Make sure you subscribe to eHow Home..

Color Harmony in the GardenAt Home With P. Allen Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment